10.12.2013

Mediocre yet fabulous

 After so much time spent at home, my mother-in-law offered to watch Kate so Jimmy and I could go out for a much needed night on the town. As with most dates, we did our standard dinner and a movie. Which is not to say that I don't enjoy other things... but I really love the cliché of dinner and a movie. A lot. Tonight we decided to go see the critically acclaimed movie, Gravity and eat at the Red Hen. In both cases, Jimmy and I were underwhelmed.

I know many people really enjoyed Gravity. I thought the imagery was beautiful. I also felt like the premise had so much potential. But as far as character development, I wanted more. Plus, there was not enough of a break from intensity. and I know the ending was happy, but I only got a second to revel in the triumph before the movie was over! The movie was so intense that I had to sit awhile to restore my pulse back to normal. Jimmy and I thought it was pretty funny that people were milling about in the theater during the credits and nearly ran to the exits when the music started getting intense again. I don't even think people realized that they all did that!

After the movie, we ate at Red Hen, which I hadn't been to in years. The last time I went, I got a pulled pork burrito with green sauce that I just loved. And so, I was dreaming of that meal on our way there. Once we got the menus, I could not find the exact dish I had been dreaming of. I chose the item on the menu that closest resembled what I had remembered. Unfortunately, I was sorely disappointed. Our food was so-so.

So, Jimmy and I went and spent the day together experiencing things that were just, eh. But, the time I spent with Jimmy was just fabulous. I think that most married people will agree that sometimes the most memorable times together are when things don't go according to plan. We laughed a lot. Don't get me wrong- I love a kick-butt date with all the bells and whistles. But more than anything I like to share it with Jimmy. It really doesn't matter where we go or what we do. All that matters is that we are together.

No comments: