7.07.2013

Be Patient


Through all of the months when decisions regarding the adoption process were required, I kept getting confused about what Heavenly Father wanted of us. I did not want to make a huge decision without a solid confirmation. When we accepted the foster placement of the boys, I knew it was the right thing. Even through the difficult times, I did not once regret the decision we made because the answer in the affirmative was so clear. I just wanted the same for the adoption decision. I wanted a clear answer to look back on that would be a rock for the times I might waver. That clear answer took months and months of prayer, fasting and priesthood blessings. In every single blessing, there was a reminder to be patient. Be patient and the answer will come. I wanted to shout, “I can be patient! But the county of Napa needs to know NOW!” Haahaa… what good that did. Let me remind you, when you want to be the boss, Heavenly Father is really good at letting you know who’s boss.

 There is a talk that has really helped me through what has been going on regarding our adoption process. Because this talk was first presented in the Priesthood session of general conference, it took me some time to stumble upon it. The talk to which I am referring is, “Continue in Patience” by Dieter F. Uchtdorf from the April, 2010 conference.

 My favorite part is, “The work of patience boils down to this: keep the commandments; trust in God, our Heavenly Father; serve Him with meekness and Christlike love; exercise faith and hope in the Savior; and never give up. The lessons we learn from patience will cultivate our character, lift our lives and heighten our happiness. They will help us to become worthy and faithful disciples of our Master, Jesus Christ."
 
Also a little snippet from the same talk that really helped, "I know for sure that the promises of the Lord, if perhaps not always swift, are always certain."

 What a wonderful reminder to me on the virtue of patience. I am glad I was (mostly) patient in this trial of my faith. But I really hope I remember this talk the next I am chided to be patient…

No comments: