6.19.2013

I don't know how we did it (well I do, kind of...)

But, Jimmy and I have been really good about keeping the TV off when the boys were here. In fact, Heavenly Father blessed us to be able to do a lot of things that came more difficultly before they got here. While the boys have been here- we did not miss a day of family scripture study, family prayer or a week of Family Home Evening. I am really not saying that in a bragging way- more of a shock and awe kind of thing. How in the world did we do that with four kids when we barely ever did it with one?! I have no doubt in my mind that the only reason that was possible was with the Lord's help. I cannot get over how much of a partner I have felt with Him through this whole experience. Being a foster parent has been the hardest thing I have EVER done. I have done hard things before. And I have always prayed through them. But in most cases, there was a time when I felt disconnected from God. Not betrayed. Not really abandoned- but far away. Like maybe He wasn't there all the time. Sometimes I had felt alone. In this experience of foster parenting, though- I have never felt alone. It has been truly amazing.

Because of Heavenly Father's help, I was able to block out many things of the world in our home. In fact, I was prompted several times to find things to talk about or even sing about while in the car. All because I felt like listening to the radio with these kids was not the right choice. We would listen to certain CDs, of course. But for the most part, we talked or played games or sang. The same goes with TV. It is difficult to find the words to explain the direction I received with these kids. I felt entirely guided to avoid media. We did have one night a week where we allowed video game/movie night. So, tonight- on our last night with the boys we watched a movie, ate popcorn and just laughed and laughed. I am sad to see these boys go- but it is their time.

No comments: