4.16.2013

Come What May and Love It

I read a general conference talk today that really helped me. As stated in my blog title, it is called, "Come What May and Love It" by Joseph B. Wirthlin, October 2008 general conference.

The tag line is: "The way we react to adversity can be a major factor in how happy and successful we can be in life."

My favorite part in the talk is the first point Elder Wirthlin states; and that is to learn to laugh. He then tells this story:
"I remember when one of our daughters went on a blind date. She was all dressed up and waiting for her date to arrive when the doorbell rang. In walked a man who seemed a little old, but she tried to be polite. She introduced him to me and my wife and the other children; then she put on her coat and went out the door. We watched as she got into the car, but the car didn’t move. Eventually our daughter got out of the car and, red faced, ran back into the house. The man that she thought was her blind date had actually come to pick up another of our daughters who had agreed to be a babysitter for him and his wife.
We all had a good laugh over that. In fact, we couldn’t stop laughing. Later, when our daughter’s real blind date showed up, I couldn’t come out to meet him because I was still in the kitchen laughing. Now, I realize that our daughter could have felt humiliated and embarrassed. But she laughed with us, and as a result, we still laugh about it today.
The next time you’re tempted to groan, you might try to laugh instead. It will extend your life and make the lives of all those around you more enjoyable."
 
I couldn't have read this talk at a better time. In the midst of a clothes washer that will not stay happy (coming up on 5 weeks now...), friends stricken with grief, lots of two year old temper tantrums- by an eleven year old.
You know, just a day in the life...
This week in our adversity, forced laughter has turned into genuine laughter. I have liked being with myself. It has been good. I urge you to read that talk, it puts life into perspective.

No comments: