5.12.2013

Mother's Day

I love Mother's Day in that I get to honor my mother and other mother's that have taught me through their example. I feel like the praise I give them on this day is well deserved.

I hate Mother's Day, however, when I am the one being honored. I feel like there is so much I need to work on to be worthy of a whole day dedicated to what I strive so hard to do every day. I do my best. But not often enough. I have patience...sometimes. I yell. I huff and puff and blow the house down. Why in the world should any even think to bring me breakfast in bed?

I suppose whenever I honor my mother or mother-in-law, they aren't sitting smug on a pouf made of goodnight kisses and all things sweet. We aren't perfect- but the holiday is not called, "Perfect Mother's Day"

Here's something I read:

"Motherhood is a choice you make everyday, to put someone else's happiness and well-being above your own, to teach the hard lessons, to do the right thing even when you're not sure what the right thing is...and to forgive yourself, over and over again, for doing everything wrong." - Donna Ball

Someday, I'll figure it all out. Until then, I'll try to enjoy my breakfast in bed.

No comments: