3.03.2009

She's gone country

In high school, I hated country music, because any self respecting teenager could not like alternative and country at the same time... well, except for Garth Brooks, who in their right doesn't like Garth Brooks before Chris Gaines... but I digress. As the the scrutiny of peer pressure has diminished, I have learned to tolerate country music. I actually bought the Rascal Flatts album because it had a great song on it. But the occurence in our home lately has been unprecedented. My mornings have been filled with fabulous country music! I'll explain:
Jimmy and I share an alarm clock that has two alarms on it. Jimmy's= buzzer, mine= radio. I like this little arrangement excluding times Jimmy presses snooze thirty times before six am. Completely by accident, my station got changed from the local alternative rock station to the local country station. I don't know how it happened, hence- Jimmy did it. I have realized over the past month how fabulous GOOD country music is. Something that is really impressive is this: there's no fear mentioning God in a song. In fact, the more mention, the more popular. Also, how can you not cry at the songs that are a progressive life story? You know- the ones about baby to to girl to woman. I am especially touched by those because I'm a daddy's girl and so is my daughter. I have actually gone so far as to set one of my buttons in the car to the country station! Now, folks, that's commitment. Please don't go overboard by thinking I am a totally reformed, knock down, drag out country fan... I still cannot handle the overly twangy honky tonk type... well, unless it's Garth Brooks.

4 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

I've never been a fan of country music myself, but even in high school, I had to have the Garth Brooks box collection... he was "cool country"... still like the guy!

Mikki Black said...

Who DIDN'T like Garth in high school? He's totally the greatest! (And I was a grunge kid!)

Never be ashamed of the love of country music. Here's what I have on my radio presets:
1. Two different "oldies" stations
2. Two different Christian stations
3. Classic rock
4. Alternative
5. Country
6. Classical/Public Radio
7. Latino
8. Modern miscellaneous

Enjoy your country!

Unknown said...

I guess I'm way over the hill then, I've always loved country....but can someone show me how to set the radio buttons in my car?

Alex the Girl said...

I grew up to honky tonk, not much on country, but to each her own!