6.19.2017

Sacrament Talk (again)


Well, the kitchen staff faced a lot of adversity this year. Instead of giving you a list of all the things that went wrong due to unforeseen circumstances, I’d like to share a tiny little miracle that happened. While the missionaries serving at the camp were changing my flat tire, I was called down to the kitchen due to another emergency and left the missionaries to tend to my car. When they finished changing my tire, the car was brought down to the kitchen while the wheel lock was still attached to one of the bolts that fastens the tire to the car. Without this wheel lock, or key, my tires could not be changed again. The road from upper camp to the kitchen is a winding, bumpy one and the wheel lock fell off the tire somewhere between point A and B. Of course, I had no idea any of that had happened. It was only when someone came up to me the following day, wheel lock in hand, that I knew it had even been lost in the first place. A tiny wheel lock when compared to the vast wilderness of camp is minute- nearly invisible. But somehow, someway- that tiny key made it back into my hands. It was incredibly busy in the kitchen when this tiny piece was returned to me, so I pocketed it and kept working. But upon inspection in a quiet moment, turning that wheel lock over and over in my hands, I was struck with what felt like lightning. Heavenly Father loved me. Heavenly Father LOVES me.
Dieter F. Uctdorf states, "The more we learn about the universe, the more we understand- at least in a small part- what Moses knew. The universe is so large, mysterious and glorious that it is incomprehensible to the human mind. 'Worlds without number have I created,' God said to Moses. The wonders of the night sky are a beautiful testimony of that truth. My dear brothers and sisters, it may be true that man is nothing in comparison to the greatness of the universe. At times it may even feel insignificant, invisible, alone or forgotten. But always remember- you matter to Him! No matter where you live, no matter how meager your employment, how limited your abilities, how ordinary your appearance, or how little your calling in the church may appear to you, you are not invisible to your heavenly father. He loves you. He knows your humble heart and your acts of love and kindness. Together, they form a lasting testimony of your fidelity and faith."
I am just a tiny little key in a vast human population. Really, I am inconsequential. Or so it seems. But I- like the wheel lock- am the only one that can do the job I was sent here to do. I am the only one like me. You are the only one like you. You and I are the keys that make the world turning possible.


I am incredibly grateful for the many lessons I learned at camp this year. My gratitude for the blessings I received in the face of adversity is boundless. There are no coincidences- you are not here by accident. We each a have a purpose. A name. A place in Heavenly Father’s kingdom. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.  

No comments: