8.09.2010

Joys of Summer

Goodness, has it been awhile. I know you missed me! Our Summer has flown by faster than a jack rabbit on a date (gotta love the obscure movie quote-name that movie!). With all the many experiences and visits I have truly felt what it's like to be blessed. Enough mushy stuff... I've had a tear jerker video on the top post for ages! So, on to a fun story- one plucked from the many fun times we had this year. Our family went to Utah to attend a blessing for my newest niece. We had a great time. What a joy it was to see all the cousins together with their different personalities. All the girls loved playing together. Rebekah threw every ball in sight. Baby Gunnar was a gentle giant of a baby.

It was so fun to meet with my sister in law's family and enjoy the company. In the basement of their home, there is an awesome den with vintage board game deco and a real live Jelly Belly machine- if Kaitlin had an income, it would've all been spent one bean at a time...

As Kaitlin, Courtney and I were downstairs milking some more beans from the machine, we heard, "thump, thump, thump, CRACK!" coming down the stairs. All I could think of was how we would revive whatever child just rolled down the stairs. My first aid training came rushing back to me. I just wish it had come back in accuracy. The good news is that when I rounded the corner to see which child would suffer my lack of first aid skills, we saw a large, juicy watermelon smashed into bits. I peered up the stairs and saw Rebekah standing at the top of the stairs pointing with a sweet declaration, "ball". Once it dawned on me that there was no child in need of faulty first aid, I turned, looked at Courtney for a social queue. You see, it was her house. Was I to peal into hysterics like I wanted, even though there was sticky watermelon guts on her very beautiful carpet? Or, was I to look at dismay at a total mess? Luckily, Courtney I seemed to share the laugh at everything gene and we burst out in laughter that brought sweet tears.

Now, that's the kind of memory I like to take away from a family get together...

No comments: