5.21.2014

Why I chose to be a stay at home mom

It's because I'm selfish...


I want to be the one that witnesses my child's firsts.
I want to pick my daughter up from school to hear all about her day, while it's still fresh in her mind.
I want to spend some days in pajamas just to clean.
I want to be at the little events at school.


Because I made this decision, my selfishness is also proven in that:
My husband has to work really hard to provide for our family.
With one income, we may not always get to eat steak every night or go on lavish vacations.
Also, things are always tight. Always.
All because I chose to stay home.


This is in no way an attack on mothers who work full time outside of the home... Heavens, no!
I am not strong enough for that.
I've tried.
There is a woman warrior who can spend the day at work and be an amazing mother at home too. She is awe inspiring and has my utmost respect. Especially because those were shoes that I could not fill. When I got home after a day at work, there was nothing of me left to give. I was snappy and exhausted. I let myself down every day. And I knew that having the role of working mother was not one I could fulfill.


Being a stay at home mom,
I do not feel deprived
I do not feel subjugated
I do not feel unequal
I do not feel oppressed
I in no way feel less than who I am

I feel free
I feel happy
I feel tired
I feel respected by my husband
I feel frustrated sometimes
I feel like I am the true form of feminism- because I am doing what I choose. I am a strong woman with a mind of her own. I can educate myself daily and I do- sometimes by accident. I am constantly progressing.


After reading opinions among the battle grounds known as the internet, I felt it only fair to make my mind known on the subject. I know my choice is not everyone's choice. I respect women who are doing what they choose and being proud of who they are. I think 'mommy wars' are ridiculous and just really taking the high school mentality to a whole new level and format.
Why is there so much animosity and polarization on the subject?
It's silly, really...
we are not toddlers, we only raise them.











No comments: