Just another one for the books...

Today was the second time I've had such a huge pain in my hip/lower back/tummy that it renders me useless. I often wonder who else has experienced this pain. After much research on the net (which I know is a bad idea) but in this case, it turned out okay. I have come to the conclusion that what I am experiencing is actually pretty common in the final trimester. But that didn't make it any less scary the first time it happened.

I was working at the day care, when all of a sudden, I had a giant pain in my lower abdomen that went around my side into the lower back. The pain was so major that I actually engaged in my labor breathing. The poor kids at the daycare didn't know what to do with me!
I thought I was going into labor because the pain was so intense. Because I had seven weeks left until my due date, I started to panic- it was too early! The pain lasted for almost an hour, with no ebb and flow, so it didn't seem like contractions. Also, the pain was only on one side of my body. Still, because of the severity of pain- my panic was overcoming my ability to continue breathing calmly.

I am very lucky to work in a home daycare where the family is LDS, because this day I needed it. I needed a priesthood blessing- bad. with all the calm I could muster, I asked my boss' husband if he could give me a blessing and then promptly burst into tears. Poor guy was gardening and said very kindly, "Right now?" All I could do was nod. Through my fear I muttered, "I think I might be having contractions, I'm scared."

I cannot even begin to tell you the relief I felt went that man put down his shovel and started washing his hands. To have someone so ready to serve really helped me at a time that seemed so all consuming. The blessing I received was reassuring and helped me immensely. The tears were now flowing freely. It's hard to explain the peace I felt...

I ended up going to my mother-in-law's to call the dr. because I couldn't drive home. Fortunately, there was nothing seriously wrong. Unfortunately, the pain was still there.
To make this long drawn out story have an unsatisfying and dull ending- the pain went away after another two hours. And then I was fine.

Until today. I woke up with a little twinge that turned into full blown labor like pains within ten minutes of getting out of bed. This time, it lasted for about 3 hours. I really, really hope today was my last experience with that pain. We shall see.

I am just so glad for modern medicine, a RN on call and priesthood blessings. Mostly the blessings.

No comments: